Friday, August 20, 2010

Does it sometimes make you feel depressed that your online ';friends'; are so far away?

I don't have that many friends in ';real life.'; I mean, I have a few really close friends that I hang out with a lot. I've known some of them since I was in high school. But I also have a lot of people that I just talk to online. I'm on a bunch of forums and websites...MySpace, Flickr, YouTube, etc. Sometimes it seems like I talk to people on the internet more than I do in person in my real life. There's a few people online I've actually become friends with and I've told them things I've never told people before. Except that of course I've never met them in real life.





On the internet, I've talked with people from different states and different countries all over the world. Then one day, it finally hit me...they're THOUSANDS of miles away. When I'm just driving around town and I drive across the city, that feels like a long distance. But even a city is just a tiny, microscopic part of the world. Then I think of how far away all my online friends are...thousands of miles away, and it's kind of depressing.





I mean, you can't hang out with an online friend. You can't shake their hand. You can't share a bag of chips or a candy bar with them. You can't hang out and watch TV or play video games with them. The only interaction you have is just typing words on a computer screen...or maybe sending pictures and videos. But you're still just talking through a machine.





The Internet was supposed to connect people and make the world seem like a smaller place. But then, it's like you get a major reality check. The world is still a big, sometimes scary place. And even though you can communicate with someone thousands of miles away...if you ever wanted to meet them in person, you would have to get on a plane.





Has anyone else kind of thought about this? That maybe, in some ways, the internet has actually made the world seem bigger and you feel even more alone?Does it sometimes make you feel depressed that your online ';friends'; are so far away?
Oh yes, I've thought about it a lot.


I've had many online relationships, it's really hard to do.


You can't hold hands, cuddle, kiss, hug, play around, lay on the ground and watch stars together.


The physical part of a relationship is NEEDED.


My best friend has moved away from me and let me tell you, it's hard and I miss her.


But I still talk to her online everyday.


Just cheer up =] everything will be okay.


Be thankful for the friends you have online, they can be the best friends ever.Does it sometimes make you feel depressed that your online ';friends'; are so far away?
Yes...





But you really need to make an effort to make local friends. Get out of your room and go hang out with some people. You will feel better

No comments:

Post a Comment