Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I really need help please because it's so hard to connect with other people. Please help!?

I am really sorry if I come off as conceited but I am really trying not to be...So I am good at a lot of things but I feel like it's really hard to connect with the people around me because no body gets what I am going through. For instance, I am 2nd chair flute in our jazz band, I am the only one who made state opens in track at my school I broke the school record that was 25 years old, and I also do ice skating which I have won states and I get really good grades at the highest level classes....What makes it worse is that I don't know anyone who does ice skating and no one I know does switches off between two sports and is that succesful in both...All while being one of the best in their instrument and also maintaining really good grades. When I tell people this, I feel like they get competitive with me and not many people want to give me credit for what I do. It's really hard to connect with people and I have some good friends but I don't have any best friends. Is there anyway to meet other people like me or do you have any advice about how I feel? Please, please help. I really need itI really need help please because it's so hard to connect with other people. Please help!?
I think what you have to understand is that the fact that you are even asking this question shows that you believe much of friendship revolves around your accomplishments and those of your friends. It sounds to me like your ';successes'; are what you believe make you unattractive to others and incapable of truly connecting with anyone. However, I do not think modesty is the only solution, as many others have posited. I think if you are specifically attempting to be modest you will find that those who you believe resent you for achievements will resent you just as much for ';hiding'; them. The problem with this is that either way it comes off as you thinking you are better than everyone else. What I mean is that if you are openly flaunting or disclosing your accomplishment people will see that as you attempting to show your superiority over them in athletics, academia, and music. But, if people see you ';hiding'; these accomplishments then they will feel that that is your way of showing that you are so superior to them that you are above even enjoying the success you have. Thus, either way people are going to resent you for your accomplishments. Therefore, in order to help yourself avoid these problems in the future, what you must do is begin to realize that your ';accomplishments'; and ';successes'; are truly not any better than those of the people around you. Your life is clearly focused on these ';things';, such as ice skating, or playing the flute, and not focused on friendship. You must think that everything revolves around your things and their relationship to others and other things, but if you were to realize that there is much more to success than getting good grades and ice skating, you would become a much better person, and a better friend. Furthermore, you have to understand that not everyone is in the position to be able to do what you do, paying for ice time to practice ice skating is expensive, so is purchasing a flute, therefore, not everyone is in a position to excel at the things you excel in. Overall, what I think you need to do in order to truly ';connect'; with someone, would be to stop running your life around your accomplishments, if you spend time hiding them they will get in the way, and if you spend time displaying them they will get in the way. Instead, if you embrace what everyone else brings to the table, regardless of what it is, you will find that the friendships will come, and the apparent burden of your successes will disappear.I really need help please because it's so hard to connect with other people. Please help!?
As simplistic as this sounds, to have a friend, you must first be a friend. You need to take a genuine interest in another person and not talk about yourself. Then after you have a friendship going you can add in your own concerns. Just be careful to try and always put the other person first.
People will never come out and show you that what you are doing they are overwhelmed by it but deep down they are. just be yourself and keep it up. I'm facing that similar problem, I'm new to this school and two girls envy me, but deep down they respect me. your true friends will come along without you even having to look for them. finding someone like you on the other hand, will take time. pray about your many troubles, you will be ok
I am the same way. I was first chair in my orchestra for many years, skipped two grades and still got straight A's in the highest level classes. I also get the lead roles in every play I have auditioned for. The thing you need most right now is modesty. When you tell people how good you are at sports and school, they aren't getting competitive. They are getting jealous. Keeping your grades and accomplishments to yourself can go a long way towards making you a happier person, especially since people will like you more for not being so far above them. Make yourself seem like a normal person, and you'll do fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment