Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How can I connect with people who are really different than me.?

Most of the people I talk to at school are jocks or preps. We get along very well except we're just so different. I'm not ashamed of the fact that I'm different (on the contrary I'm quite proud of it) but it keeps me from really connecting with people on a personal level. I really don't know anyone else who's remotely like me. I'm kinda preppy, kinda dorky (I used to be really weird, but I fixed most of that), extremely right brained (my mind is creative, intuitive and random and I know what is going on in my mind is nothing like most people's). I'm not much of a jock or into things like sports the way many of my friends are. but the thing that sets me apart the most is being an aspiring entrepreneur and millionaire. I'm working my *** off to understand things like how to make money, how the world really works, and economics (this seems completely the opposite of my creative fantasy dork side) and I have absolutely no one to talk to about it other than an older friend of mine (I'm 18, he's 21) who is a mastermind, but I don't really have much of a connection with him either (he's kinda cold and calculating, great social skills, but he's hard to relate to because he's so much better at most things than me).


The worst part is, I'm gay and although I'm noticeably feminine, I am neither attracted to gay dudes nor do I relate to gay culture. I have absolutely no one to talk to about this. especially when I'm attracted to the guys I hang out with.


I don't think people respect me much either. they just say I'm ';goofy'; even people who are sillier than I am. they say it's not an insult but at the same time I feel isolated. I don't think I'm very weird, but people talk to me like I'm an idiot and I hate it (especially because I'm very intelligent)


anyway, I'm not looking to be ';normal'; just a way that I can find a few really close friends that I can relate to on the same page.How can I connect with people who are really different than me.?
Join a group of like-minded people in your community. Attempt to secure an internship with a company in a field you might enjoy exploring. Being gay may have a bit to do with your feelings of being ';different';; however, many people who are not gay also feel this way. Enjoy your friends for who they are and try not to feel the need to be one of them. Individuality is what makes you different. Appreciate it for what it is. You might also consider that some of your friends are acquaintenances. Choose your close friends carefully and you may find that you are happier.How can I connect with people who are really different than me.?
Well, at least everyone at your school is human, which means that you can at least connect with them on a basic level. I'm sure that they all like food, so you could talk about food. You could even make lunch buddies. Okay, that's a bit lame. Is your school really that polarized? If your school has an art club, you should try to get in touch with people there, since they're likely to be right-brained like you are. I've noticed that the artists at my school tend to be goofier and more open-minded. As for gay dudes, there are gay men who look and behave more like stereotypical heterosexual men. Of course, they're harder to find because they don't stand out. If you were really desperate, you could try a dating site. Since you're in high school (I'm guessing), you can also expect a lot of people to be assholes. Is your school small or large?

No comments:

Post a Comment