Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I feel like I can't connect with people my age. What should I do?

I just feel so trapped, I feel more mature then people my age and I can't connect to them. I don't care or want to discuss anything they do, we have hardly anything in common. I have 3 friends who I am close to and then other friends who aren't that close and don't really know me. But even with my close friends two are shallow and care more about insulting others they don't know then discussing actual issues. And the other is half and half. What do I do? I don't want to act immature and pretend I care about certain things they talk about. How do I find people who have the same interests as me and are on the same intellectual level. I go to a very small school, everyone knows everyone. Meaning there isn't anyone there to hang out with. I'm so bored and I am incredibly busy but still left finding life very dull. I play piano, sax, guitar and ukulele. I take theory, ballet, acting and singing lessons. I am on student council, global justice group, eco club, band, drama, soccer team and a tone of other activities inside and outside of school. I am intellectually bored and stuck. I need a challenge but where and what? Please help me to find something, I can't stand the life I'm living now.I feel like I can't connect with people my age. What should I do?
Try hanging out with older people. An easy way to do this is creating an account on a social networking site, like Myspace, and getting in touch with people you find interesting, preferably in your area.I feel like I can't connect with people my age. What should I do?
Viktor Frankl wrote a book called Man's Search for Meaning. He suggests that as human beings we all search to find meaning and purpose to our lives. It is so important that the Jews who managed to survive the concentration camps of Nazi Germany, were those who had a ';reason'; to live. This reason was a meaning or purpose that was critically important to them. A reason such as helping others overcome prejudice or societal stereotypical injustice is how I acquire meaning and purpose. Frankl felt that true human happiness or contentment comes from a life full of engagement outside of our own selfish pursuit of material wants.(This is my own interpretation of Frankl's book. It is a great deal more than this, I suggest you read it to help with your search for what you feel is your authentic self.) I realize you are a busy person. Are all the activities you do because you love them and could not imagine yourself living not doing them? Do you do any because others expect you too? Do they add significant meaning purpose, contentment and happiness to your life? You know you are good enough just the way you are. Being just you, and then adding only the things and activities that bring you meaning, purpose and happiness is what is important. Those who still love you and remain your friends despite what you do, are all the people you really want in your life anyway. We are lucky if we can count on one hand those that REALLY CARE for us. Volunteering for a group, charity, non-profit organization, cause or other effort that you feel passionate about will help you meet others of like mind and interest. Soon you will become to full-of-life to be bored. Best wishes on your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment